When stress levels reach their max, you can usually pin point a few root causes on why: a stressful job, busy kids, ailing parents, car problems, etc… and many of these do not have a quick fix resolution. However, there is one thing within your control that will make a significant impact on your stress levels: attacking your clutter. That’s right – organize your stuff friends!
Here is why clutter affects our stress levels:
- Clutter makes it more difficult to relax, both physically and mentally.
- Clutter takes time away from our day. Where is that black shirt for little Joe? Why can’t I find Sally’s shoes for soccer? You have to tread carefully to not trip when walking through your basement… it takes time to focus.
- Excessive stimuli causes our senses to work overtime on things that aren’t always important. In essence, clutter draws our attention away from what our focus should be on.
- Clutter creates feelings of guilt (“I should be more organized”) and embarrassment, especially when others unexpectedly drop by our homes or work spaces.
The best news about clutter? It is within our control to address. Many, though, have reached a state of being overwhelmed with their clutter and don’t know how to best attack it. Don’t fear – there are options!
- Buy a declutter book. Lots of great authors have done the hard work for applying a method to the madness for decluttering. There are a lot of logical approaches for you to learn from at your local bookstore or Amazon books. Heck, listen to an audio book while driving to work. #multitasking #winning
- Take one room at a time and find an approach that makes you happy. Wanting to donate to those in need? Great – pack up donation boxes! Good news is many non profits will come to you to pick it up! Check out donationtown.org for your local pick up options.
- Hire someone to help. Most cities have professionals who specialize in the physical and emotional side of decluttering. Zeal is happy to help connect you to some of these professionals to ease the stress of the process!
- Incent yourself to make money when you declutter. Extra cash never hurt, right? When you declutter, partner with a consignment professional to sell your quality items. Extra money will help reduce other stresses! Good news: Zeal can connect you to these professionals as well.
Go forth my friends and pick a spot to start! Even if it is as small as your junk drawer that is a catch all for everything. We promise, the feeling you will have when you are done will be much closer to “calm” than “stressed.”